Over the years, I had the opportunity to work and publish on various research topics. I listed few of those topics and some of the related
publications. Please check out my Google Scholar page for full list of publications and let me know if you have any questions.
Deep/Machine Learning Applications to Engineering / Science Problems
- M. Lefranc, Z. Bayraktar, M. Kristensen, H. Driss, I. LeNir, P. Marza, J. Kherroubi, "Deep-Learning-Based Automated Sedimentary Geometry Characterization From Borehole Images", accepted for presentation at the 2021 SPWLA Symposium, Boston, MA, May 15-19, 2021.
- S. K. Goudos, D. E. Anagnoustou, Z. Bayraktar, S. D. Campbell, P. Rocca, D. H. Werner, "Guest Editorial: Special Issue: Computational Intelligence in Antennas and Propagation: Emerging Trends and Applications", IEEE Open Journal of Antennas and Propagation (Open Access), 2021.
- Z. Bayraktar, "Adaptive Wind Driven Optimization Trained Artificial Neural Networks", [white paper], published on arXiv, November 2019.
- Z. Bayraktar, D. E. Anagnoustou, S. K. Goudos, S. D. Campbell, D. H. Werner, A. Massa, "Guest Editorial: Special Cluster on Machine Learning Applications in Electromagnetics, Antennas and Propagation", IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters Special Cluster Issue, November 2019.
- M. Komurcu, Z. Bayraktar, "Toward Resilient Cities: Using Deep Learning to Downscale Climate Model Projections", accepted for presentation at the 2019 NeurIPS Tackling Climate Change with Machine Learning Workshop, Dec 14, 2019.
- Z. Bayraktar, H. Driss, M. Lefranc, "Representation Learning in Geology and GilBERT", accepted for presentation at the 2019 NeurIPS Document Intelligence Workshop, Dec 14, 2019.
- Z. Bayraktar, D. Omeragic, and Y-H. Chen, "Quantitative Interpretation of Oil-Base Mud Microresistivity Imager via Artificial Neural Networks" proceedings of the 2019 SPWLA (Society of Petrophysicists and Well Log Analysts) conference, Houston, TX, 06/2019. Selected Distinguished Speaker of SPWLA for 2020 based on this work.
- Z. Bayraktar, D. Omeragic, and Y-H. Chen, "Proxy Models via Neural Networks for Borehole Oil-based Mud Imager Inversion Workflows", Proceedings of the 2019 IEEE MTT-S International Conference on Numerical Electromagnetics and Multiphysics Modeling and Optimization, Cambridge, MA, 05/2019.
- [Patent] Z. Bayraktar, H. Driss, M. Lefranc, "Geological Analog Recommendation Workflow Using Representative Embeddings", 2020.
- [Patent] M. Lefranc, Z. Bayraktar, M. Kristensen, P. Marza, I. Le Nir, M. D. Prange, J. Kherroubi, "Method for automated stratigraphy interpretation from borehole images", 03/2019.
- [Patent] Z. Bayraktar, D. Omeragic, "Artificial neural network based quantitative interpretation method of oil-base mud resistivity imager", 07/2018.
- Z. Bayraktar, M. Thiel, and D. Omeragic, "A Two-Step Hybrid Approach to 1-D Formation Inversion using Adaptive Wind Driven Optimization and Gauss-Newton Method," 2016 Inverse Problems Symposium, Lexington, VA, June 5-7, 2016.
- D. Omeragic, Z. Bayraktar, M. Thiel, T. Habashy, S. Alatrach and F. Shray, “Triaxial Induction Interpretation in Horizontal Wells: Mapping Boundaries, Characterizing Anisotropy and Fractures,” SPWLA 56th Annual Symposium, July 18-22, 2015, Long Beach, CA.
- M. Gabrani, N. Casati, R. Viswanathan, A. Abdo, J. Oberschmidt, Z. Bayraktar, and D. DeMaris, "Automated Sample Plan Selection for OPC Modeling," Proceedings of the Optical Microlithography XXVII Conference, SPIE Advanced Lithography, February 2014.
- Z. Bayraktar, and M. Komurcu, "Multiobjective Adaptive Wind Driven Optimization," Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Evolutionary Computation Theory and Applications, ECTA 2016, Portugal, Nov 2016.
- [Thesis - Pennsylvania State University] Z. Bayraktar, Miniature Stochastic Three Element Yagi-Uda Antenna Array Optimization Through Multiobjective Genetic Algorithms and Particle Swarm Optimization
- J. Nagar, S. D. Campbell, D. H. Werner, Z. Bayraktar, and M. Komurcu, "The Adaptive Wind Driven Optimization and its Application in Electromagnetics," 2018 Int. Applied Computational Electromagnetics Society Symposium, March 26, 2018, Denver, CO.
- Z. Bayraktar, and M. Komurcu, "Adaptive Wind Driven Optimization," Proceedings of the 2015 BICT, 9th EAI International Conference on Bio-inspired Information and Communications Technologies (formerly BIONETICS), Dec 3-5, 2015, NYC, NY.
- Z. Bayraktar, M. Komurcu, J. A. Bossard and D. H. Werner, "The Wind Driven Optimization Technique and its application in Electromagnetics," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 61, issue 5, pp. 2745-2757, May 2013.
- D. H. Werner, J. A. Bossard, Z. Bayraktar, Z. H. Jiang, M. D. Gregory, and P. J. Werner, "Nature-Inspired Optimization Techniques for Metamaterial Design," in Numerical Methods for Metamaterial Design, edited by Kenneth Diest, Springer, Numerical Methods for Metamaterial Design, 97-146, Topics in Applied Physics, Aug. 2013.
- Z. Bayraktar, J. A. Bossard, X. Wang, and D. H. Werner, "A Real-valued Parallel Clonal Selection Algorithm and Its Application to the Design Optimization of Multi-layered Frequency Selective Surfaces," IEEE Trans. on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 60, No.4, pp. 1831-1843, April 2012.
- M. D. Gregory, Z. Bayraktar, and D. H. Werner, "Fast Optimization of Electromagnetic Design Problems Using the Covariance Matrix Adaptation Evolutionary Strategy," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 59, Issue 4, pp. 1275-1285, April 2011.
- Z. Bayraktar, M. D. Gregory, X. Wang, and D. H. Werner, "A Versatile Design Strategy for Thin Composite Planar Double-Sided High-Impedance Surfaces," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, vol. 60, no. 6, pp. 2770-2780, June 2012.
- J. A. Bossard, Z. Bayraktar, and D. H. Werner, "Broadband absorber for the mid-IR based on multi-screen frequency selective surfaces," Proceedings of the 2012 IEEE Int. Symp. on Ant. and Propag. and USNC/URSI National Radio Sci. Meeting, July 8-14, 2012, Chicago, IL, USA.
- Z. Bayraktar, J. P. Turpin and D. H. Werner, "Nature-Inspired Optimization of High-Impedance Metasurfaces with Ultra-Small Interwoven Unit Cells," Special Cluster issue on Metamaterials of IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 10, pp. 1563-1566, Dec. 2011.
- D.-H. Kwon, X. Wang, Z. Bayraktar, B. Weiner, and D. H. Werner, "Near-infrared Metamaterial Films with Reconfigurable Transmissive/Reflective Properties," Optics Letters, Vol. 33, No. 6, pp. 545-547, Mar. 15, 2008.
- A. Kildishev, U. Chettiar, Z. Liu, V. Shalaev, D.-H. Kwon, Z. Bayraktar, and D. Werner, "Stochastic Optimization of Low-loss Optical Negative Index Metamaterial," Journal of the Optical Society of America B, Vol. 24, No. 10, pp. A34-A39, October 2007.
- Z. H. Jiang, F. Toor, S. Yun, Z. Bayraktar, X. Wang, D. H. Werner, T. S. Mayer and P. L. Werner, "Metamaterial Absorbers with Wide-Angle Polarization-Insensitive Multiband Properties for RF through Mid-Infrared Applications," Proceedings of the Fourth International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, Karlsruhe, Germany, September 2010.
Antenna Design Synthesis
- Z. Bayraktar, D. H. Werner, and P. L. Werner, "Miniature Meander-line Dipole Antenna Arrays Designed via an Orthogonal Array Initialized Hybrid Particle Swarm Optimizer," IEEE Antennas and Propagation Magazine, Vol. 53, No. 3, pp. 42-59, June 2011.
- Z. Bayraktar, P. L. Werner, and D. H. Werner, "The Design of Miniature Three-element Stochastic Yagi-Uda Arrays Using Particle Swarm Optimization," IEEE Antennas and Wireless Propagation Letters, Vol. 5, Issue 1, pp. 22-26, December 2006.
- D. H. Werner, Z. Bayraktar, F. Namin, T. G. Spence, M. Gregory, P. L. Werner, and E. A. Semouchkina, "A Novel Miniature Wideband Stacked-Patch Antenna Design Using Matched Impedance Magneto-Dielectric Substrates," Proceedings of the The Third International Congress on Advanced Electromagnetic Materials in Microwaves and Optics, London, UK, Aug. 30th - Sept. 4th, 2009.
EM Tool Modeling
- Z. Bayraktar, M. Komurcu, Z. H. Jiang, D. H. Werner and P. L. Werner, "Stub-loaded Inverted-F Antenna Synthesis via Wind Driven Optimization," Proceedings of the 2011 IEEE Int. Symp. on Ant. and Propag. and USNC/URSI National Radio Sci. Meeting, July 3-8, 2011, Spokane, WA, USA.
- P. L. Werner, Z. Bayraktar, B. Rybicki, D. H. Werner, K. Schlager, and D. Linden, "Stub-Loaded Long-Wire Monopoles Optimized for High Gain Performance," IEEE Transactions on Antennas and Propagation, Vol. 56, Issue 3, pp. 639 - 644, March 2008.